Saturday 21 May 2016

Going to Disneyland Paris (alone)!

Yep that's right, you heard it here first folks. I went to 'the happiest place on earth' with me, myself and I. Now ironically enough from someone who travelled to the other side of the world alone, I'm not the type of person who 'likes their own company' or particularly thrives off 'me time' - but it's one of those decisions I had to make, either go by yourself or not go at all. So I went, and it was magical.

I bought my ticket about a week ago, and it was a special '2 parks for the price of 1, which meant I got to experience not only Disneyland Park, but also Walt Disney Studio Park - which is where I found my favourite ride Crush's Coaster.

I'm not even that much of a Disney fan; I don't know the names of all the princesses, I don't have Frozen memorabilia, I've never ever seen most of the 'classics'. But I did grow up watching Disney Pixar films like Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Toy Story etc. so it was cool to be able to relate to that side of it, and especially seeing my favourite characters come to life again in the parade - I'm telling you it really does make you feel like a kid again!

Overall I think the experience of going by myself was pretty good and no where near as boring as you think it will be. Plus I got to skip ahead in the lines so many times, when a family of 3 went on a ride with 4 seats for example. Also when you're by yourself you can literally just do as you please and not have to worry about making group decisions or holding up someone else when you want to look around the Toy Story merchandise for half an hour. Plus if you're feeling bored or lonely, there's thousands of other people there waiting in line for the Indiana Jones ride to be fixed - take it as an opportunity to talk to someone new from another country and start up a conversation!

Also just a money and time saving tip for anyone going to a theme park (or anywhere touristy) - take your own snacks and a big bottle of water! Every day in Paris when I would go out, I'd stop off at the supermarket before hopping on the metro and pick up some fruit, pastries or a sandwich for the day. These are great to snack on while you're waiting in line for rides or waiting for trains to arrive, so you save money by not having to buy overpriced-tourist-directed food, and you save time by not having to wait in a restaurant. Also, have a big breakfast and drink lots of water so that you don't have to spend a month's wage on lunch.

The only slightly annoying part is that the parks aren't really in Paris, well at least not central-Paris-which-you-can-a-metro-to-in-half-an-hour-Paris. I had to take two different metros, then the RER A to get out the region where the parks are and it cost me 1 hour and over 7 euros each way - which is kind of a lot for someone travelling on a budget!

Anyway, it was a fabulous day and I definitely recommend going if you happen to have a free day in Paris. I can't wait to check out the other Disneyland Parks around the world now. One thing which I really appreciated was how genuinely happy most of the cast members (what they call people who work at the parks) were and how much they got into the spirit to encourage all the visitors to have a fun day. I loved how at each ride they wore different costumes and adopted a personality to match the characters from the film the ride portrayed, especially at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - shout out to the guy making scary noises who made me jump a metre in the air when waiting for my ride!

So here are some photos from the day! More Paris posts to come soon :) also remember to sign up for email alerts when I post something new (it's that new thing on the right which I really hope actually works!) Bonne journée xx

Entrance to Walt Disney Studios



I want these giant fairy lights!!

The castle!


Cinderella

Frozen

Toy Story

Eyore from Winnie the Pooh

The Lion King

The Jungle Book

Minnie and Mickey Mouse

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some parade. I really loved reading that post Sophie - and I received the alert about a new blog post. So it's working well. Can you link it somehow to Disney in Paris's website or Facebook or blog or something? Really good writing and wonderful to see you having so much fun - even when you are on your own. Benefits galore. You are learning heaps, experiencing much and living fully. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome Sophie....so much fun! The email alert is great btw. Looking forward to the next post on your blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading your Blog at work :) Catching up on all your posts. Such a great idea to keep everyone in the loop.

    ReplyDelete